Even though the 2011 draft is 18 months away, I have been watching it with interest because it’s looking like the first time the Astros will have a top 10 pick. There is very little information available about the 2011 draft because it’s incredibly early, but the following are 10 players to watch for the 2011 draft:
1. Gerrit Cole (P, UCLA)—when asked who will be the first player taken, the majority of people would say Cole. Cole passed on a huge signing bonus from the Yankees, and has done nothing to dispel the notion he is an elite player. Cole throws a fastball between 95-97 along with a good two-seamer and curveball.
2. Travis Harrison (1B, Los Angeles, CA)—Harrison displayed a Bryce Harper-like performance at this season’s power showcase, managing to blast one pitch 504 feet. He is the only Junior player currently rated among the best players in the country, but there has been some debate whether he’s an extremely talented player or simply developed faster than others in his age group.
3. Anthony Rendon (3B, Rice)—Rendon is a Houstonian who was one of the nation’s best hitters last year as a true freshman.
4. Deion Williams (SS, Stone Mountain, Georgia)—Scouts apparently love the grandson of former Major League all-star George Scott.
5. Sonny Gray (P, Vanderbilt)—some have said Gray had the best arm in college baseball last season, other than people named Strasburg.
6. Danny Hultzen (P, UVA)—one of the leaders of a rising Virginia baseball team, Hultzen posted ridiculously good numbers last season.
7. Levi Michael (2B, UNC)—the next in a line of solid UNC prospects, he showed impressive power in his freshman season for a smaller player.
8. Taylor Jungmann (P, Texas)—one of the only players I’ve actually seen play. A great overall pitcher and should be selected in the first round.
9. Daniel Norris (P, Science Hill HS)—a pitcher from Tennessee high school considered one of the state’s best players as a sophomore.
10. Trevor Bauer (P, UCLA)—Gerrit Cole’s teammate at UCLA is also considered to be a really good prospect.